Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Some days life as a kayak guide isn't glamorous, but with anything in life there is the good, the bad, and the ugly.

This week's good has been the amazing experiences that I have gotten to share with people kayaking on Fort Bragg's Noyo River.  On Sunday, we hosted the Mendocino Coast Audubon Society for a bird paddle.  It was great to share the water with 12 other birding enthusiasts.  Some had paddled the Noyo many times.  For some 40 year residents of the Mendocino Coast, it was a magical first time.

Also good, were some friends doing their annual father's day paddle on the Noyo,


a first time Greenland Paddler,


and sighting 2 river otters and lots of Pacific Pond Turtles.

The bad - Jeff hurt his back and is literally laid out on his back.  I guess this is inevitable when one throws kayaks around all day long.  This has made me Liquid Fusion Kayaking's one woman show (please be patient - I will return your phone calls, emails, and get you out on the water).

The ugly - the skunk train's speeder car went down this week.  On Monday, Jeff had to tow 4 recreational kayaks up the river for our Tracks to Kayaks Trip.  This probably was the final straw that broke his back.  Fortunately the Skunk Train acquired another speeder car for Tuesday's trip so I only had to tow one boat with gear in it for the trip.


Unfortunately, a glitch in their reservation system had me missing my chance to send boats up on the speeder  car.  I had to tow 3 barges (so they seemed) up the river.


The good though is that it was a beautiful day.  Lots of turtles were out sunning themselves.  I got to paddle Jeff's carbon/kevlar Valley Avocet sea kayak, with his Saltwood Paddle, and the river was GORGEOUS!!!  Except for surfing, running whitewater, or mountain biking, there isn't much that I would rather be doing.


Especially good is that this weekend, I get to co-teach 3 of my favorite classes - kayak surfing, whitewater of the sea - ocean rock gardening in whitewater kayaks, and a sea kayaks in the surf class.


No comments:

Post a Comment