Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Fresh Water

I didn't go to Santa Cruz this weekend to cheer for Jeff and other friends in the Santa Cruz Paddlefest. I stayed home, monitored the river flows, and conspired with my "foul-weather" friends to go whitewater boating.

I did miss getting to watch Jeff and the other competitors compete at Steamer's Lane. Word is that the waves were large and burly. I am still waiting to see more photos and videos.

The Eel River ended up being my kayaking venue for the weekend. The flow on the Eel was strong and fast. The water was powerful with surging and boiling eddy lines and strong hydraulics.

Powerful strokes were necessary to execute moves. Boat speed, loose hips, and good braces kept one from dunking in the cold water. Even more important were good lines - here's a video from the Eel of what happens when one takes a not so good line.

The V Hole from Explore Six Rivers on Vimeo.

Colorful kayaks weren't the only color on our trips on the Eel this weekend. It was fun to boat with a variety of craft that ranged from a Topo-Duo (tandem whitewater kayak)

to a whitewater canoe

and a couple of rafts.


I was stoked to share some on water time with other women on water
Nancy was styling it in the Topo Duo with Steve. This duo was amazing as they carved in and out of eddies and slalomed down the river in tandem.

This was my first river trip with my good friend June who was taking photos and cruising in the raft with her sweetie Jerry.

I was also stoked to get on the water with my new friend Kendra before she moves to Idaho.


There is a magic that occurs on the river. It is where boaters of all walks of life converge to share a passion for water, the outdoors and adventure. We often joke that when men wear skirts the issues and problems that plague us in everyday life slip away. Actually, I think it has to do with the respect that we all have for the river and the wilderness and an appreciation that we have for the opportunity to be on the river and sharing its magic with others.

This weekend, an invitation was presented for a new opportunity. I am over the top with excitement.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cate, just saw you are coming up to my area for a talk with SSK in May. I look forward to meeting you in person.

    ReplyDelete