Thursday, November 5, 2009

Confessions of a Boletivore

Hi, my name is Cate and I am a boletivore.
David Arora in his book Mushrooms Demystified defines boletivores as ---- predators of boleteus edulis - King Bolete. The King Bolete (boleteus edulis) is considered to be one of the best edible species of wild mushroom. I love the size and shape of it. It is exciting to spy one growing out of the forest floor. Just one is enough for dinner unlike other mushrooms that require a bit more gathering.


After the first fall rains, I disappear into the forest of the Mendocino Coast in search of these delicious fungi which I enjoy dry-sauteeing, grilling, drying, and sharing with friends.



Even when paddling, I am scouting the banks of our rivers for wild mushrooms. The boletes are one of my favorites; however, I admire all forms of fungi and enjoy trying to identify them. Some are easy like this amanita muscaria (aka Alice in Wonderland Mushroom) and others are more challenging.


Boletivore, mushroom-head, crazy, . . . whatever . . .

3 comments:

  1. Wow, those really are sizable mushrooms! Nothing like eating from the wild (when you know what you doing, that is).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never - ever - seen mushrooms that big.
    Hope they were tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for admiring the fruits of mycellium (and my hunting). I feel like a mighty hunter when I find these in the forest. They are quite tasty but my favorites wild mushrooms come to the Mendocino Coast later in the winter.

    ReplyDelete